Thursday, July 5, 2012

Salt Flats

One of my favorite parts of the state is the area west of the Guadalupe Mountains.  A lonely, sparsely populated area of sand dunes, salt flats, desert grasslands, and stony mountain ranges.


I had arrived at the Guadalupes on a clear day, I drove west to the salt flats and walked out on them a ways.  I photographed both the mountains and the flats themselves.


 I have always wanted to be able to make a minimalistic image of the salt flats where I could hopefully capture the openness and the sky.


I set up placing northwest looking across the dry lake bed into a clear blue sky.  I tried out compositions that took in both the expanse of sky or that showed the size of the lake bed.


Here is one of the former.  Efke 25 processed in DR-5 as a black and white chrome.

No comments: