Sunday, March 7, 2010

Monument Valley Red Rock




I spent a wonderful week out in Arizona in late February visiting Monument Valley, the slot canyons near Page, and the Grand Canyon. You will be seeing some images from these in a series of posts on this blog and my WildernessPhotographer blog too.

If you look at this image you might think it was summer and you probably cannot tell that it had snowed the night before, but it had. Then it all melted off.

I had been out in the morning but between the wind and the fact that the best light seemed to be way off kept me using the DSLR and I waited for better conditions for the 4x5. After all, I want each sheet of Quickload film to count.

The view here is Artist Point. This was that better conditions I was looking for! The view. The conditions. The light. It was just what I was looking for, so I sat up the Arca-Swiss and set about making a few images in the late afternoon light.

This was my first visit to Monument Valley and I was impressed. From John Ford movies to the many views photographers have made made it really a great place and the weather I got here over 2 days made it a special location.

No comments: