Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mesa Arch at Night




Mesa Arch is one of the premier photo destinations in Utah and certainly in Canyonlands National Park. The arch hangs right on the edge of a 1500' cliff and faces east. The arch is famous for the orange glow it gets at sunrise on a clear day. It draws the photographers in thick. One morning we had better than 40 people jockeying for tripod positions. I wanted to try something a little different and I also wanted to stake my spot for sunrise, so one morning I got to the arch about 5am.

I had the whole thing to myself for at least an hour and a half. I made several night images of the stars. I painted the arch with light. I got my spot picked out. And all without the hassle of 40 other people.

Here is one of my favorite from that morning. The stars above the arch and the arch painted with light.

BTW- I went back the next night and got a great self portrait standing on the arch in the dark. See that on my Wilderness Photographer Blog.

No comments: