Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Years Day


New Years is a day full of rituals. My own personal one is to be out photographing at dawn every New Years day. I started several years ago and have been out on everyone since. It has become something I look forward to as much as any other aspect of the holiday.

I like the cold quiet of the dark waiting for the first sunlight on another year. It gives one pause to think back on the last year and look forward to the new one.

This morning was crisp and clear- cloudless in fact. I went down to where the Clear Fork and West Fork of the Trinity River meet at the edge of downtown Fort Worth. I hoped to get the city, the river reflections, the stars, and the glow of the coming morning. It was the dawn of a new year and I hoped to put it on film.

Standing on the levee as I sat up the camera I heard the bells of the courthouse chime six in the morning. I photographed in the dark and then in that first hint of day when a touch of blue barely creeps into the sky. I wonder what this year will bring. I move down the river to a different angle. Before I realize it the chimes strike seven. The sun is only minutes away. There is an orange glow on the eastern horizon. I photograph until sunrise and the first light of 2008 strike the buildings of the city.

The day starts. A new day. A new year.

1 comment:

CACTUS BILL said...

You are a very good writer and your discriptons of what you see and your thoughts are well put.
you are an inspiration to myself as well as to others that may not tell you.
I am honored to know you and to learn from you.

your Friend

Bill Davis